How to connect QuickBooks to another PC using a network
cable or Wi-Fi, and work as a team?
Using a network cable
In the QB installation process you need to select 2nd option which mentioned the I’ll be using QB on this computer and storing company
file here, so it can be shared over network. If you missed this step you need
to re install the QB after uninstalling and select this.
- Connect the two PCs using a network cable.
- Then create the related user accounts in the company file
with limiting their role.
- On both PCs, make sure that the network adapter is enabled
and that the IP addresses are configured correctly.
- To setup IP address, search for network connections and open
- Then find the ethernet adapter and right click on it to open
properties. (you can find this also from disconnecting the cable)
- Select internet protocol version 4 and click on properties.
- Now select use following IP address. And,
- In the saver PC
- IP address – 192.168.0.1
- Subnet – 255.255.255.0
- Default gateway – 192.168.0.2
- In the client PC
- IP address – 192.168.0.2
- Subnet – 255.255.255.0
- Default gateway – 192.168.0.1
Then save all settings.
Now turn off the Windows firewall to fix the following errors.
How to fix cannot communicate with the company file error in QB ?
How to fix QB error -6000, -83 ?
How to fix QB error code 80070057 ?
You are facing these errors because your network firewall is limiting the QB access to saver PC. So you need to turn off the windows firewall of your saver PC. (or you can configure your firewall rules. If you would like to do that, you can refer official QB page to find the guideline.)
- Then click windows key+ R from your client PC and type IP
address of your saver PC like this
\\192.168.0.1 and hit ok
- Now from the saver PC you need to save the company file to a
location of the network folder which you can access from the client PC.
- Now double click on the company file from the saver PC and login
to that company file as the admin user
- Click on files option and then switch to Multi-User Mode.
- On the client PC, goto network folder and open the company
file which you have already opened in the saver PC
- Then enter your user name and password. (Not the admin users
How to connect QuickBooks to another PC using Wi-Fi
- Make sure that both PCs are connected to the same Wi-Fi
- On the saver PC,
- Open the windows command prompt just searching on start menu.
- Type ipconfig and hit enter.
- Then find the IP address of your wifi network
- Type that IP address in run (you can open this by pressing
windows key and R key at same time)
- Type your saver PCs ip address in this format and hit enter
Now follow the same procedure which I have mentioned in the above network cable connecting process.
Once you have connected the two PCs, you will be able to
open and use the QuickBooks company file on the new PC.
How to confirm that you are on same network?
Just use the QuickBooks Chat option which appears on the corner
of your PC
- If you are using a network cable, you may need to configure
the firewall on both PCs to allow QuickBooks to communicate over the network.
- If you are using Wi-Fi, make sure that both PCs are connected
to the same network and that the signal strength is strong.
- If you are having trouble connecting the two PCs, try
restarting both computers.
Tips for using QuickBooks in multi-user mode
- Make sure that all users have the same version of QuickBooks
- Make sure that all users have the necessary permissions to
access the QuickBooks company file.
- Be careful not to overwrite each other’s work. If two users
are editing the same transaction at the same time, QuickBooks will prompt the
users to resolve the conflict.
- Back up your QuickBooks company file regularly.